Picante Mexican Grill offers freshly made Mexican dishes. Everything is Hecho En Casa, meaning ‘home-made’. Everything they serve is made fresh in their kitchen, and they even make their own Mexican chorizo to a traditional Oaxacan recipe. Casual dining, lunch, breakfast and take-away.
Proper guacamole is absolutely glorious, when made the traditional way with the right ingredients. Using Serrano chilli pepper adds a slightly nutty flavour that pairs very nicely with has avocados. We have tried many brands over the years and exclusively use La Costeña for their unbeatable flavour.
- 2 Hass avocados (medium size), only use perfectly ripe avocados, if the flesh is too firm or grey, it doesn’t belong in guacamole. Grey avocados belong in the compost heap.
- 1/3 cup fresh tomato, chopped (about 1 medium)
- 1/3 cup white onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup if red or Spanish yellow), white onions have a subtler, less overpowering flavour than their red or yellow cousins. Harder to find, but worth the effort
- 1 medium clove garlic, very finely chopped-ideally use a garlic press
- 1/3 cup coriander, finely chopped (cut off steams just below 2nd leaves)
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp serrano escabeche (the marinate liquid from the tin) La Costeña
- 2 serrano chillies finely chopped (about the size of the average pinkie finger), remove the seeds and veins to reduce the spiciness (this recipe has a slight tingle)
- Pinch ground black pepper
Combine all of the ingredients and mix well, just before serving
- Do not use any other avocados than Haas as they do not have the correct texture or flavour to make guacamole, Haas are generally very dark in colour and have rough skin
- Limes may yield variable amounts of juice, so follow your taste buds. I personally prefer less lime juice, but it is a key ingredient, as it acts a natural preservative and prevents the avocado flesh from turning colour.
Note: Sharing is caring! We love it when you love our work so feel free to share what you like. However, if you need to modify or take only parts of this or any content on this website, please let us know and we can help!