Taquitos are one of our favourite dishes of all Mexican cuisine. Like most tacos, they are very versatile! You can fill them up with basically anything you like such as shredded beef, chicken or go completely veggie. The key to great taquitos is to have a good tortilla that can be handled, rolled and fried without falling apart. This time, we decided to go 100 vegetarian. The result was absolutely delicious! Our Black Beans Taquitos with Arriera Salsa are some of those dishes that we will make over and over again. Arriera salsa is quite hot but very tasty! We chopped some cherry tomatoes, fresh coriander and mixed it with the salsa to balance the heat and add freshness to it. Here’s what you need to make these delicious tacos at home:
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 560 gr Whole Black Beans from La Costeña or freshly made black beans
- Fresh Spinach
- 3 Tbsp. Cream Cheese
- 1 Garlic Clove Crushed
- 1 250 gr Salsa Arriera La Costeña
- Olive Oil
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Feta Cheese
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tbsp. Natural Greek Yogurt
- Lime Juice
To make the black beans filling:
- Heat a little bit of olive oil and add crushed garlic for a few seconds taking care it doesn’t burn. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the drained whole black beans and let it cook for a few minutes. Add the cream cheese, a touch of salt and pepper and set aside.
To make the Arriera Salsa:
- Take as much Arriera salsa as you want to use and mix it with chopped cherry tomatoes, fresh coriander, a few drops of lime juice and a pinch of salt. Adding sweet cherry tomatoes balances the salsa which can be very hot for some people.
To make the avocado cream:
- Mash one avocado with some fresh coriander, a few drops of lime juice and the Greek yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste. You could add chopped jalapenos but we chose not to do this because our salsa has enough heat. This avocado cream also balances and cools the Arriera salsa providing a delicious mix of flavours!
To make the taquitos:
- Heat each tortilla individually until soft. This can be done with or without adding oil to the pan. Once the tortillas are nice and soft fill them with the black beans and spinach mixture and roll them. Secure them with wooden cocktail sticks. Heat up some oil and fry your taquitos on all sides until golden crispy. Remove from the pan and let them drain any excess oil on a plate with paper towels. You could bake the taquitos instead of frying them. Set your oven to 180C and arrange the taquitos on a baking tray. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are golden brown. You will have to turn them so all of their sides are nice and crispy.
Serve your taquitos over a bed of shredded lettuce. Add a dollop of avocado cream, Arriera salsa and crumbled feta cheese. These taquitos are so nicely balanced. There is some heat, freshness, crunchy and soft textures and an overall feel good feeling to it. We hope you like them as much as we did!