Chicken tinga is so tasty and moreish that it can be difficult to believe how easy it is to make. This is the kind of dish that is always a hit with everyone. From people new to Mexican food all the way to Mexicans. Tinga is the perfect meal to make ahead and to share.
-2 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
-2 white onions
-4 large tomatoes
-2 garlic cloves
-1 tsp dried oregano
-salt and black pepper to taste.
-1 tbsp butter
1 Roughly cut the tomatoes and half an onion and add them to a blender and blitz them with the chipotles until smooth. Reserve.
2 Cut the one and a half remaining onions in even slices and finely chop the garlic cloves.
3 Add the butter and olive oil to a large pan and bring the heat to medium-high. Add the onions and cook them until they start to become soft and translucent. This can take several minutes.
4 Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds and then add the tomato and chipotle sauce. Stir everything together and wait for it to boil. Bring the heat down to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, with the lid off, just so some of the moisture evaporates and the sauce thickens a bit while the flavours come together.
5 Add the shredded chicken to the sauce, stir all together and add salt and pepper to taste at this point. Bring the mixture back to a boil and then simmer for 15 more minutes with the lid on over low heat
-Corn tortillas or tostadas
- Chicken tinga is one of the easiest Mexican dishes you can make. The ingredients are easy to get and most of them you probably have at home already. The most difficult part is to decide how much chipotle to use.
- There are many beautiful flavours at play here. There’s the lovely sweetness from the onions, freshness and acidity from the tomatoes and the amazing kick from the chipotles.
- This recipe can be easily made vegetarian as the key to everything is the sauce and this one, as many Mexican sauces, is vegetarian.
- Traditionally, tinga is served over tostadas but tinga tacos are equally popular. This is such a delicious and satisfying filling that you can make also burritos, sandwiches (tortas) or even have it with rice.
- The most common way to serve it is with cream, cheese, and lettuce. If we could recommend something that can’t be missing, it would be the cream! Creme fraiche is beautiful with chicken tinga!
#mexicanfood #mexicanflavours #foodie #madeinmexico #mexicantwist #mexicanfoodporn #easyandtasty #mexicanfoodlover #freshfood #foodphotography #eatfreshfood #beautifulfood #cocinamexicana #mexicanproducts #mexicaningredients #mexicandishes #onlinegrocerieslondon #lacostena #mexicanproductsuk #wholesomemeals #homemade #chipotle #chipotlesenadobo #mexicanabroad #mexicansabroad #chipotlesauce =chipotlelove #chipotlerecipes #chickentinga #tingadepollo