There are not enough good things we can say about chilaquiles. Mexican’s beloved breakfast! There’s something so wholesome and satisfying about them! Crunchy corn tortillas drenched in salsa. It is like having nachos for breakfast! Some people like them crunchy while others prefer them softened in the salsa. Whichever way you like them, you need only to have two good ingredients for chilaquiles to be amazing: a good salsa and a good bed of corn tortilla chips. The rest is us to you! You can add chicken, you can add cheese or eggs on top of it. The sky’s the limit.
-8 to 10 corn tortillas
1 Preheat the oven to 180C
2 Brush the tortillas on both sides with a little bit of the oil. Pile them together and cut them into triangles. Cut them in half first and then cut two or three triangles, depending on how big you like the chips to be.
3 Layer flat in a baking tray and bake them for 5 to 7 minutes before turning them. Continue baking and turning until golden brown.
4 Remove the tortilla chips and add them to a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and set aside in a warm place.
- If you have an air fryer you can make tortilla chips quickly and easy! Just remember to make them in smaller batches and shake them halfway. We used ours at 180C for a total of 7 minutes, shaking halfway. Perfect, crunchy, golden tortilla chips every time.
-2 chicken breast, cooked, pulled apart and warm
-½ white onion
-2 garlic cloves
-handful of fresh coriander, stems included
-1 jalapeno pepper
-salt and pepper to taste
1 To make the salsa, blend the tomatillos, onion, garlic, coriander and jalapeno pepper in a blender until smooth. Add the salsa to a saucepan and bring it up to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
2 Assemble the chilaquiles by adding the warm corn tortilla chips to the bottom of a pan, add shredded chicken and ladle the hot green sauce on top of it.
-Crumbled feta cheese
- This method works great when all the elements are hot and ready to be assembled at the same time. The warm corn tortilla chips will absorb the salsa but will stay crunchy at the same time.
- If you prefer soft chilaquiles, then mix the corn tortilla chips with the salsa and cook for a couple of minutes so the tortillas have more time to absorb the salsa. You can also mix the shredded chicken at the same time and dish it out all at once.
- The toppings are optional but chilaquiles and crema are a must! Creme fraiche is perfect for this dish as is the crumbled feta cheese.
- Another classic combination is to add a fried egg on top of them instead of chicken.
- Make vegetarian chilaquiles by skipping the chicken and adding an egg or cover them with cheese and grill for a few minutes until golden and delicious.
#mexicanfood #mexicanflavours #foodie #madeinmexico #mexicantwist #mexicanfoodporn #easyandtasty #mexicanfoodlover #freshfood #foodphotography #eatfreshfood #beautifulfood #cocinamexicana #mexicanproducts #mexicaningredients #mexicandishes #onlinegrocerieslondon #jalapeno #lacostena #tomatillos #mexicanproductsuk #wholesomemeals #homemade #chilaquiles #chilaquilesverdes #greensalsa #salsaverde #mexicansalsas #greenchilaquiles