Poblano and Green Salsa Pastel Azteca or Mexican lasagne is a traditional Mexican dish that is very easy to make. In a single dish we find simple but delicious Mexican ingredients that are staples in our gastronomy. There are many recipes and ways to make this pastel Azteca but the basic ingredients are the same: corn tortillas, poblano strips, corn and green salsa. This dish can be easily made vegetarian! Have you tried it?
Recipe for 2 portions
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2 Poblano peppers
- 100 gr Yellow sweet corn
- 200 gr Salsa Verde La Costeña
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- Creme fraiche
- Vegetable Oil
- Toppings such as avocado, thinly sliced onions, crumbled feta cheese.
Now let's cook it:
- Cook the chicken, shred and reserve it.
- Bring a small pot to medium heat and fry the Salsa Verde La Costeña for two minutes. Add the chicken stock, three tablespoons of creme fraiche, stir and bring to a slow simmer for five minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, yellow sweet corn and poblano pepper strips to the sauce and simmer until the sauce thickens. Approximately 10 minutes. Check seasoning here. Reserve.
- Bring a frying pan to medium high heat and gently fry the tortillas in a little bit of vegetable oil. This should be done fast being mindful of just lightly frying the tortillas making them soft and not crunchy. Layer the tortillas on top of paper towels to absorb any excess oil and reserve.
- Place one tortilla on a plate and layer a good amount of the chicken and salsa mix, dollop with some extra creme fraiche. Place another tortilla on top and repeat by layering the chicken and creme fraiche. Use four tortillas in total making one of them the top layer of your Mexican lasagne.
- Add a spoonful of just the salsa mix on top of the Mexican lasagne, sprinkle crumbled feta cheese, avocado and thinly sliced white onion.
- This recipe yields two very big portions! You can build a two or three layer Mexican lasagne instead.
The key to any dish is to build up flavours on every step. By cooking the chicken breast with bay leaves, onion, salt and pepper you’re not only adding flavour to the chicken but you can also use this stock to use in the salsa later on.
Salsa Verde La Costeña is delicious and packs a hot kick. Add the recommended amount to your sauce but feel free to add more if you want bolder flavours. Be mindful of adding too much salt since the Salsa Verde already has it. Taste as you go.
You can also add more creme fraiche to cool down the sauce if needed.
This dish is traditionally made on a baking tray with Oaxaca or Chihuahua cheese. This is then baked in the oven until the cheese is golden-brown and fully melted. The process is basically the same making this dish perfect for sharing, just like a lasagna.
Gently frying the tortillas keeps them from absorbing the moisture of the sauce and breaking or becoming mushy. An even more important step when making the oven-baked version of this dish.
Get your tortillas, poblano and salsa verde and make yours! All the traditional Mexican flavours at home. Enjoy!
#mexicanfood #mexicanflavours #foodie #madeinmexico #mexicantwist #mexicanfoodporn #easyandtasty #mexicanfoodlover #freshfood #foodphotography #eatfreshfood #beautifulfood #cocinamexicana #mexicanproducts #mexicaningredients #mexicandishes #onlinegrocerieslondon
#mexicanlasagna #pastelazteca #corntortillas #salsaverde #poblano #chilepoblano #lacostena #mexicancasserole #mexicanshreddedchicken