This sauce is such a treat! It has it all, a bit of sweetness, a bit of spice, a bit of tangy freshness and a delicious consistency! You can tailor it to your own taste by using smooth or chunky peanut butter and adjusting the spice level. Good, fresh food made by you with amazing results! Perfect to be enjoyed with veggie rolls or even mixed with rice noodles in a bowl! Sky’s the limit.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
-3 Heaped Tbsp of peanut butter (you can use chunky or smooth)
-1 tbsp soy sauce
-1 tbsp rice vinegar
-1 tbsp sesame oil
-1 tbsp grated ginger
-2 tbsp adobo from the Chipotles in Adobo
-1 tsp honey
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup water
1 In a small bowl, add the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, chipotle adobo and honey. Mix really well and start adding lemon juice to your taste. We love our peanut sauce thick but if you prefer a runnier consistency, add water one tablespoon at a time until you achieve the desired results.
- We used chunky peanut butter and added no water at the end because we like a thicker consistency and bold flavours.
- All the ingredients can be tailored. This is a very good base to start. You can add more chipotle, ginger, honey, lemon juice, etc.
- The sauce is not spicy at all because we only used the adobo (sauce) from the chipotles. You can even finely dice a whole chipotle and add it to the sauce instead for added spiciness.
- This is an Asian inspired peanut sauce that goes like a charm together with some fresh spring rolls but it is also amazing mixed with some rice noodles.
- The chipotle goes so well with the ginger, soy sauce and all the other ingredients making it an excellent alternative to the traditional sriracha style sauce.
Veggie Spring Rolls
-3 cups finely sliced red or white cabbage (you can also use a mix of them as we did)
-½ cup julienned carrots.
-½ cup julienned cucumber
-½ cup julienned red pepper
-1 avocado thinly sliced
-Sesame seeds or even better, our homemade Everything But Bagel Seasoning (recipe over in our Instagram)
-10 to 15 medium-sized rice paper rounds/ spring roll wrappers
1 Arrange all the veggies in front of you so you can easily put the rolls together.
2 Set a shallow dish with a little water where you can soak the rice paper. It should be able to lay flat and just be covered with water. Keep more water at hand to add more if needed.
3 Place a clean, damp tea towel in front of you. Now we can start.
4 Submerge one rice paper in the dish with water and wait a few seconds. The rice paper should go from hard and dry to the consistency of soft plastic. Take it very carefully with your hands and lay it, extended, on top of the damp tea towel. This will keep it hydrated and easier to work with.
5 Sprinkle some sesame seeds or our special seasoning along the rice paper followed by coriander leaves and an avocado slice. Then pile a good amount of the sliced cabbage, a few carrots, cucumber and red peppers.
6 The vegetables should be arranged sightly off the middle of the rice paper and with at least 1cm of space on top and bottom. Once the veggies are laid, fold as if you were folding a burrito: cover the veggies with one side, then fold the top and bottom over it and roll towards the other end. Rolling rice paper can be tricky the first few times but once you have tried two or three, it will get easier and you’ll find a method that works for you.
7 Continue with the rest of the rice paper rounds until you have finished all the veggies.
8 Once rolled, keep them separated from each other while they set and you finish with the rest. Then you can slice them in the middle and arrange them on the serving plate.
- Rice paper is quite strong and doesn’t break too easily as long as it stays hydrated.
- You can make thin spring rolls or thicker ones by adding more veggies or other ingredients. You can add glass noodles too!
- These Spring Veggie Rolls are perfect to share! They keep really well covered with cling film and kept inside the fridge for the next day.
#mexicanfood #mexicanflavours #foodie #madeinmexico #mexicantwist #mexicanfoodporn #easyandtasty #mexicanfoodlover #freshfood #foodphotography #eatfreshfood #beautifulfood #cocinamexicana #mexicanproducts #mexicaningredients #mexicandishes #onlinegrocerieslondon #meatfree #meatfreemonday #plantbasedmexican #vegetarianmexicanfood #beautifulfood #eatfreshfood #peanutsauce #veggierolls #spicypeanutsauce #veggielove