Chipotle Hotpot Recipe
This chipotle hotpot is heavily inspired by the beautiful Lancashire hotpot and bistec ranchero. By playing with Mexican ingredients we can give a super tasty Mexican twist to a very British classic. Both dishes have a lot in common; they are the quintessential comfort food and transform simple ingredients into a delicious and delicate dish capable of warming souls. Even when it takes a little while to cook, the process is quite simple and the hardest step to overcome is to wait until it is ready. We can highly recommend having a few tortillas handy and make a taco or two with this lush dish. Just the way we do it back home.
Recipe for 2 portions
- 250 gr Chuck steak or similar cut into small cubes
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 Small carrots diced
- ½ White onion diced
- 2 Poblano peppers San Miguel diced
- 200 gr Tomato sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Chipotle peppers La Costeña finely chopped
- ½ beef stock cube
- 1 Clove of garlic finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp Flour
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Mix the flour with salt and pepper in a bowl and add the beef pieces. Make sure they are well coated with the flour mix.
- Add a little olive oil and a little bit of butter to an oven-safe skillet or frying pan and bring up to medium-high heat. Add the pieces of beef and sear on every side until nicely golden-brown. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Bring the heat down to medium, add the carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the poblano peppers, 1 chipotle pepper, tomato sauce, beef stock cube and stir well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Check the sauce and add water, a little at a time, until there is plenty of liquid. A cup of water should be enough. Add 1 tbsp of the leftover flour mix or more until a nice and thick sauce is achieved. Check for seasoning here and adjust salt and pepper. Return the beef to the pan and cover.
- Cook for 45 minutes on the lowest setting. Check halfway to see if there’s still plenty of liquid.
- While the stew is cooking, slice the potatoes into even slices. Approximately 3 mm and parboil them for 4-5 minutes. Drain and let them cool down on top of a tea towel on an even layer. Reserve.
- Mix the softened butter with 1 chipotle pepper and the garlic. Add salt if needed. Reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the stew from the heat and arrange the potato slices on top of it, overlapping as you go starting from the outer edge working to the centre. Dollop the chipotle butter over the potatoes and reserve the rest.
- Cover the pan and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. After this time, remove the pot from the oven and bring the temperature higher to 220°C. Add a little more of the chipotle butter on top of the potatoes and return to the oven, uncovered, for another 20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden-brown and lovely.
Chipotle peppers can be quite hot. Adding one to the hotpot and one to the butter will make this dish hot and smokey. You can add more to your dish or less depending on how hot you like your food. A good tip, if you want the flavour but not so much heat, is to remove the seeds from the chipotles before using them.
This recipe can be easily doubled.
The poblano peppers San Miguel are delicious and so easy to use! Fresh poblanos are hard to get and have to be deseeded and the skin removed before using so having them ready from a jar saves a lot of the prep time.
The chipotle butter is delicious and I can imagine using it in other dishes. Play with the heat level of it too!
By slow cooking this dish you’ll make sure that the beef gets soft and its juices blend nicely into the sauce.
#mexicanfood #mexicanflavours #foodie #madeinmexico #mexicantwist #mexicanfoodporn #easyandtasty #mexicanfoodlover #freshfood #foodphotography #eatfreshfood #beautifulfood #cocinamexicana #mexicanproducts #mexicaningredients #mexicandishes #onlinegrocerieslondon
#hotpot #bistecranchero #poblanopeppers #chipotle #lacostena #traditionalfood #slowcooking #sanmiguel #comfortfood #tortillas #taco #homemade #simplefood #simpleingredients